Shivaji Terminus (Victoria Terminus)
This is a magnificent building, and considered to be architecturally
one of the finest stations in the world. Built by the British in 1888,
it has exquisite ornamentation on its facade along with beautifully
executed panels and friezes. It holds the statue of Queen Victoria on
Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, formerly known as Victoria Terminus in
Mumbai, is an outstanding example of Victorian Gothic Revival
architecture in India, blended with themes deriving from Indian
Rechristened as Mahatma Phule Market, it was built in 1871 by William
Emerson. The bas-reliefs, at a height, adorning the facade, were
designed by J. L. Kipling at the School of Art, a stone's throw away.
It is the largest wholesale fruit market in the country and a visit
there can be a 'fruitful' experience, especially during the mango
season. But sadly, most of the vegetable & fruits are moving to New
Mumbai's wholesale market.
Fountain and the Gothic/Victorian buildings of the
The Flora Fountain stands on the site of the old church gate of the
Bombay Fort, now a major crossroad named Hutatma Chowk. It was erected
to honour Sir Bartle Frere, a former governor of Bombay and named after
the Greek goddess Flora. Other buildings to see in the Fountain or Fort
area are the University of Mumbai buildings including the imposing
Rajabhai Tower, the Mumbai High Court, the Old Secretariat, and the
Institute of Science on one end. Close by are situated St Thomas
Cathedral, the Asiatic Society of Bombay or Town Hall, the Office of
the Director General of Police, the General Post Office and the Thomas
The Western Railway Headquarters is also quite near, across the street
from the Churchgate Station. These buildings are fine examples of the
Gothic and Indo-Saracenic style. Many are illuminated by night. An
exotic way of seeing these sights would be by the MTDC open-air bus or
by the few surviving Victorias or buggy rides. Close by to Flora
Fountain is the Kala Ghoda area which holds a once a week fair (every
Sunday) from November to January.
This is the older, downtown area (with the Nariman Point reclamation
being the newer commercial centre), surrounding the Flora Fountain. It
gets its name from the fact that it was a part of the fortified city
which were later considered obsolete and demolished during the time of
the Governor Frere. A small portion of the wall is seen as part of the
boundary wall of St. George's Hospital.
Mumbai's most striking monument, this too was designed by George
Wittet. It has an imposing gateway arch in the Indo-Saracenic style
with Gujarati and Islamic elements such as wooden carvings. It was
built to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary to
India in 1911. This area is also the departing point for ferries plying
to Elephanta Island and other beaches across the port. Behind it is the
beautiful old (and new) structure of the Taj Mahal Hotel.
Ali Shrine (Dargah)
Further along the seashore, at the end of a long pathway surrounded by
seawater is the shrine dedicated to Haji Ali, a Muslim saint. Access is
only at low tide via the pathway.
Close by to the Prince of Wales Museum, this gallery is the showcase
for contemporary art. The displays change regularly. Outside is the
Artist's Plaza with more paintings on display and sale. Open daily from
11 am to 7 pm.
This suburban beach is great favourite with Mumbaites, and has plenty
to offer everyone. Like Marine Drive's Chowpatty, Juhu 'Chowpatty' is a
vendor's delight with innumerable food counters. It is a
place to bring kids, as it doubles up as an amusement park, play
ground, and open-air restaurant. An unusual sight at this beach is the
camel ride, which is both fun and popular.
of Wales Museum
This is one of Mumbai's finest example of Victorian architecture. Built
to commemorate King George V's visit to Mumbai (while still Prince of
Wales), it was designed by George Wittet and completed in 1923. It
undoubtedly one of India's finest museums and houses treasures,
artefacts, paintings and sculpture from the many periods covering
India's history, including the Indus Valley Civilization. Open from
Tuesday to Sunday, 10.30 am to 6 pm.
Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA)
This is the former Cowasji Jehangir Hall, of the Institute of Science.
It has been renovated to serve as a four-storey exhibition hall,
displaying the best of Indian contemporary art. Open daily except
Monday, from 10 am to 5 pm.
Jyotiba Phule Market (Crawford Market)
A busy market area, this is best visited early on in the day. The
fruits and vegetable section offers the best of produce. Depending on
when you visit, the fruit/s of the season are always a good buy.
The Mahalaxmi Temple is a popular holy site as Mahalaxmi is the goddess
of wealth. It is situated at one end of Breach Candy - a trendy
residential and shopping area, now known as B. Desai Road.
This is essentially an up-market residential area with some spectacular
views of the city surroundings. On the road climbing up, is a Jain
temple dedicated to Adinath, the first Jain tirthankara. At one end, on
the top are the Hanging Gardens (Pherozeshah Mehta Gardens) and the
Kamala Nehru Park. Both provide relaxing atmospheres of greenery.
Beside the Hanging Gardens are the Parsi Towers of Silence. But these
are off-limits to all except those who have come to dispose and pay
respect to the dead.
Towards the other end is the Banganga temple complex at Walkeshwar,
considered to be one of Mumbai's holiest sites. Local legend has it
that the Hindu god Rama rested here on his way to rescue Sita (his
wife) from Lanka. The Banganga Tank is supposedly the spot where Rama
shot his bow or bana. Further away is the British built Raj Bhavan, the
residence of the governor of Maharashtra. The Banganga Festival of
Music is a yearly highlight, and is in the month of January
This simple and charming museum was where Mahatma Gandhi lived on his
visits to Mumbai between 1917 and 1934. Gandhi's room and belongings
including his books are on display. Mani Bhavan is situated on Laburnam
Road, near the August Kranti Maidan, where the 'Quit India' movement
was launched in 1942. Open daily from 9.30 am to 6 pm
Drive and Chowpatty Beach
This is the stretch now known as Netaji Subhashchandra Bose Road with
Nariman Point on one end to Babulnath, at the foot of Walkeshwar on the
other. For the most part, a pleasant promenade continues along the
beach with the Chowpatty area situated somewhat in the middle.
Chowpatty Beach is a teeming mass of people, vendors, masseurs and
roadside restaurants with its specialties being bhelpuri and kulfi.
Across the Chowpatty Beach area is the Taraporewala Aquarium. Marine
Drive is also referred to as the Queen's Necklace because of the
dramatic line of street lamps lit up at night.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is the central bank of the
country. As the central bank, it is also the custodian of the
country's monetary heritage. To document and preserve India's
monetary history for the posterity and as a part of the Reserve Bank's
education and outreach programme for the common man, especially
the students, the Reserve Bank has conceived the Monetary Museum.
For children, information kiosks provide information with
entertainment. They can learn about features of currency notes and
facts about coins while playing games and while leaving, one can pick
up brochures on the story of money in India, India's contemporary
currency, Indian coinage and precious signatures. One can also
mementos like posters on coins and currency notes, post cards and
Mural: Explaining the
evolution Of Money
The first of its kind in India, the Reserve Bank's Monetary Museum was
inaugurated in 2004 by India's President, Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam.
The Museum attempts to demystify money as it evolved from the age old
barter system to the present stored value cards. On display in
the Museum are, coins of various sizes and shapes issued since 6th
century B.C. to the present times. There are also panels of bank
notes and instruments of indigenous banking like hundies. All
this is explained through graphic panels in English and Hindi.
Shapes & Sizes of
The Museum also has a screen for trading in foreign exchange with live
quotes on foreign exchange, commodities and share prices.
Visitors can not only see how exchange rates of various currencies
change but can also take imaginary positions in currency, sell or buy
and make or lose money!
One of the finest examples of high Victorian Gothic architecture, it is
the headquarters of the Central Railways and is one of the finest
railway stations in the world.
Located in the Prabha Devi area of Mumbai, this popular temple
dedicated to Ganesh was rebuilt on the site of a 200-year old temple.
Built of black stone, the idol of Ganesh is two and a half feet in
height and two feet in width. An unusual feature of the statue is that
the trunk turns to the right, not often found on Ganesh idols. Tuesday
is the main day of darshan and puja, but this temple is frequented by
hundreds of devotees everyday. Click here for more details.
J. J. School Of Art
Built during the same period as the University, its importance is
heightened by the fact that Rudyard Kipling was born and spent his
early childhood here. His father, John Lockwood Kipling, was the
Principal of the art school and under his tutelage, many local artisans
received training. Some of their works were used to adorn the buildings
being constructed in Mumbai during that period as sculptured panels and
With its columns and tall Grecian porticos, this structure has been the
foundation of the Library Society of Mumbai which moved into the Town
Hall in 1830, soon after which a union was effected with the Royal
Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland. One of its greatest
assets is its library, a storehouse of knowledge, which may not have an
equal in the east.
Founded by Sir Cowasjee Jehangir Ready money, after whom is named the
earlier of the two structures, was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott.
Flanked by the High Court and the Old Secretariat, the buildings were
completed in 1874. Resplendent in a florid and highly decorative French
Gothic style, the main building with its turrets and gabled roof has a
large circular window, with its outer border originally made up of
twelve stained glass skylights, depicting the signs of the zodiac.
This blue-basalt building in early English Gothic style was designed by
Col. J. A. Fuller. It has central tower standing almost 180 ft. Two
octagonal towers with their spiralets holding at their pinnacles two
carved figures of Justice and Mercy are situated to the west of the